Biological Material Spill
Biological Material Spill Response
Follow These Steps to respond to a biological material spill:
- Put on gloves, lab coat, and other necessary PPE.
- Remove contaminated broken glass in spilled material with tongs or a broom and dustpan and discard it into a sharps disposal container.
- Apply a solution of freshly made household bleach (1:10 bleach/water solution) or other approved chemical disinfectant to the affected area for an appropriate contact time. (Contact time is the amount of time the product must be in contact with a material to achieve decontamination. Ten minutes is the minimum contact time for bleach. Check labels for other products.)
- Absorb the spill completely by using enough absorbent materials to prevent dripping. Material that is not saturated or dripping may be disposed of in the regular trash.
- Re-apply disinfectant to decontaminate the surface, again allowing adequate contact time.
- Decontaminate cleaning equipment and re-usable PPE, and discard disposable PPE appropriately.
- Thoroughly wash hands after removing gloves.
Last Update: 5/14/2014